Other trips


Other trips can be accessed by clicking the following links:

2014
Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Israel, Jordan and Copenhagen

2015
Hawaii, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Nepal, India and England

2016
Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania, Greece, Egypt, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Ethiopia, Kenya, S. Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE and Denmark

2017
Panama, Colombia, Ecuador (inc. Galapagos), Peru, Bolivia, Chile (inc. Easter Island), Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Mexico.

2018
France (Paris and Lourdes), Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Spain, Andorra, Morocco (Tangier), Portugal and the Netherlands (Amsterdam).

2019
New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Great Britain, Antarctica, Patagonia and Paraguay.


Tuesday, August 13, 2013

From Tallinn, Estonia

I may be posting this from Tallinn but there'll be snippets too from our stay in Helsinki too as I always seem to be behind the eight ball.
  • On Sunday, Steven and I went to an open air flea market I'd read about on Trip Advisor (to be known as TA from this point on!).   Scads of fun for me and the man of my dreams as well, I think.  He always has loved to window shop and I've been more of a purpose driven shopper.  I remember his loving the ultra fancy shops in the Vegas malls we went to with youngsters in tow but they were never my style as they were way too beyond our means and I figured why be there to window shop if we can't buy.  The flea market was up my and his alley though - fascinating to walk through for him and clothes and people's discards for me to entertain the thought of buying.  Was looking ostensibly for a "new" purse but ended up with a clutch for 4E.  Also happened to buy 4 short sleeved tops I liked.  Naomi - hope you're NOT reading this part!  Wish you had been there, Rene, to help snag the best deal for me as I bargained for the items.  Oh well, I was happy with what I paid so that's the important thing in the end.  Need to keep that philosophy in mind when we bargain in shops in Thailand and Cambodia when the low prices really won't make a hill of beans of difference to us and they will to the locals.
  • Then took a city bus to the end of the line to Seurasaari Island which has a big Open Air Museum and beautiful walking trails. The homes, church, farm buildings, church boat, etc.were  brought there from all over Finland.  Heard a spellbinding concert while there with a guitarist and singer who sang often a capella songs from all over the country.
  • Continued the day by seeing the Sibelius monument not far from downtown - he's Finland's most famous composer.
  • Walked on to the Church in the Rock which brought tears to my eyes by the sheer simplicity and beauty of the church literally carved out of rock - I am sure the music that was playing and the memories that evoked had something to do with my emotions.
  • We infinitely preferred the architecture in Finland to the very stark, barren and almost exclusively concrete larger buildings we saw in much of Iceland.
  • Got the ferry to Tallinn arriving about noon y'day the 12th; after leaving our bags in a locker at the ferry terminal, we walked into the Old Town which is what Tallinn is most famous for, in terms of tourists. No wonder - don't know which superlative to use here  as no words I can come up with do it justice.  In short, if you ever have a chance to come, don't hesitate and just hop on the next plane as it's that beautiful, charming etc. 
  • Got our first ever taxi together in 32 years from the terminal after retrieving our bags to go to our airbnb apt right smack dab in Old Town after wandering around for several hours.
  • So far it seems to us that Estonia's a huge amount cheaper than either Finland or Helsinki. To give you an idea, we bought a loaf of rye and whole wheat bread each, 10 eggs (there are no "dozen" of eggs we've seen up to now!), a foil pkg of mayo (hope that doesn't come open), a jar of raspberry jam for Steven to have sandwiches on the road, a 2 liter bottle of pop for you know who, tomato,ice cream sandwich etc for under 8E, about $10.
  • Beginning to second guess my decision to buy the short sleeve tops as it's unseasonably chilly here and I sure need a long sleeve shirt that actually fits.  Tried to find a size small
    one before leaving home but no store had them in yet.
  • Waiting for Steven to get up and load some photos for you to see.  Hope it won't be too long as it's 9:30 and I'm raring to get out and explore!
    Seurasaari Island

    H.'s Church in the Rock - up and down
    Tallinn - photos below taken about 10 pm
    T
    Tallinn has amber stores everywhere.


    Our airbnb apt in Tallinn - just gorgeous just like the model!

1 comment:

Steven Berger said...

My wife is a great blogger!!!!!!